Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Protocol (not a proctology lesson)

Dear Members

I am sure you have been alerted to a possible braai on Easter Sunday with a certain Brian who shall be called Braain. For me, this invitation lacks any form of protocol. For a start, BIP has not been prioritised or even consulted. However, I do concede that BIP's universal presence may not yet have penetrated into the Eastern Cape.


This realisation made me suddenly aware of the importance of braai protocols. When I think of braais I have experienced in the Eastern Cape, an image arises of slovenly people shouting obscentitties, generally overcooking very fine braai foodstuffs and even falling into the braai. I am aware of the dangers of over - generalising however and will credit Braain with rather average braais.

I also feel that braai protocol should never include any form of advice on dress sense, since this is a regional peculiarity. I am far more concerned with people's attitudes towards the braai itself. Outside of BIP circles, I do not think that that people hold much awe and respect for the braai as the ultimate way of cooking.

In line with the recent decision by the Minister of Education to introduce a pledge that will be recited by all school learners at the beginning of each day, I would like to introduce a pledge that has to be recited by anyone on the day that they intend braaing. My draft pledge is as follows:
  • I pledge to respect the ground on which I will make my braai
  • I will commemorate humankind's discovery of fire
  • I will honour my human rights to braai
  • I pledge to undergo a lifelong learning process to improve my braai skills
  • I will attempt wherever possible to teach other people to braai and 
  • I will show human tolerance for those who cannot braai
I would appreciate your thoughts on this pledge, which will demonstrate BIP's openness to public debate on its policies.

Yours in BIP
Shadfish
Co-founder

No comments:

Post a Comment