Friday, July 6, 2007

Rere: Lost braaigrid

Dear Sidefish

Last night was a braai scheduled a week in advance following the late cancellation of an impromptu braai last week that was also cancelled. The person who was hosting the braai had been with flu and i the guest was scared of his germs and my families imune systems.

We had already puchased the meat: 3 marinatid pork sosaties, 4 lamb chops and so it came to be about 5 in the evening when it was proposed that making a fire was a "las" and that grilling the meat in the oven was the prefered method of preperation. I announced immediatly to my wife that this would need to be reported to BIP, and thus is this the content of this email message to you as a proud founding member of BIP.

She said that was Ok, but I was not so sure. some tense moments passed and then I gave in to the oven. whether to cook the meat on the pan or by placing on the grill thereby allowing the fat to drip through to the pan (which bends when it heats up so the fat can leak into the oven floor) - the grill won that debate.

I turned them three times while Jenna was being fetched by her mother Murel who fetches her quite late (like when we eat supper at 6 pm) and because jenna does not get to eat meat that offten at home she secretely hopes that she might partake in some of ours, and this has happened much to her delight on one or two occasions previous to this one.

I put four plates on the table and this really got her hopes up. And then i over grilled the chops because I wanted two and did not want to have to give up my second chop, and because I could not bear to have to put the chops on the table for jenna to see how close she was to eating one of them and not knowing weather I would give away my chop or overcook them instead. some tense moments passed as I hurled another gulp of whisky into my body. as the house stopped wobbling after they disembarked from our rocking house I placed three cold sosaties, one underdone chop and three overgrilled and quite crispy chops onto the table. They were all delicious and my wife went as far as saying that I had cooked them well.

We also had brocoli and sweet potato with our meat both boiled on the stove. I am not sure what this story is all about but I had to report it to BIP because it was intending to be a braai. Does this event qualify as a braai ? - i mean those three chops were quite well singed, and a smell of burning sheep/pig did fill the house....

thanks for all your efforts towards BIP up till now, I think we may be closing in on something potentially great.

all the best
braaimeester

No comments:

Post a Comment