Friday, July 10, 2009

Kameeldoring Secrets

Howzit guys

It dawned on me the other day that i have not braaied with my friends for many a long day, so i want to have a braai on saturday afternoon somewhere nice - they are only forcasting a mild NW which goes west as we prepare the coals at about 5 pm and only 1 or 2 mm may fall - behind my house is perfect in these conditions...i have a galjoen and a fillet steak from polokwane to braai...

the last time i had a braai was in sagebrush last weekend after the kak rugby match. As the final whistle blew I said I better make a fire - my father sitting just next to me in his chair shot a few meters into the air and his head almost touched the roof "nobody told me we were going to have a braai!?!" he yelled "we haven't got any blooddy wood for christs sake!"

i walked out the back to where he keeps his wood and saw the pile of kameeldoring was still there - about half a ton i thought I also saw some bags of rooikrans and out front there was a pile of wood taller than Ben. My father had now become very upset because there was no wood for the braai and although i told him mother had bought wood he did not believe me he kept saying "she never told me we were going to have a braai how the hell am i supposed to know we are going to have a braai if she does not tell me whats happening now we have got no bloody braai wood!"

I was searching frantically for my mother to reasure him that she had got some wood. I found her and asked her to tell him that we she had got some wood. she did that several times "why didn't you tell me we were going to have a braai!" he yelled "now we don't have any wood!"

I asked my mother to take me to the wood she had bought - we walked to an old shed i have not looked in for about 15 years, she unlocked the door, it opened and there was a single bag of black wattle "there, that will be more than enough!" This was a secret hiding place for her bag of wood when she forgot to tell him that there was going to be a braai i figured.

There was an old toilet in the shed, infact this was an old outside toilet - I said "oh i forgot there was a toilet here!" she said "don't use it it does not work anymore" we locked the shed and I walked with the bag of wood that felt a bit not heavy enough and wondered how i was going to smokkel kameeldooring into the fire.

My brother in law had got wind of the wood situation and bravely announced that he would go and get a bag of rooikrans - and this he did! I made the fire and before it was almost going my sister shelley arrived with an armfull of my fathers kameeldoing! "are you crazy" i whispered "you better put that back quick!" "ag no he won't notice - just hide it under that other rubbish" at that point my son arrived with the tongs so i quickly relaid the fire so one could not see the bits of kammeeldoring sticking out too much - But I could see them! - burn burn!! it was tense but he didn't come outside to the braai, i think coz i made it out front and he prefers it out back in the machine and theres less miggies there but only in summer... Then gav arrived with the rooikrans, and we piled it on completely smothering the kameeldooring...shoo

At 7.30 pm the last three burnt lamb chops came off the grid there was only a few embers left, no by vuur - niks...it was touch and go.

hope to see you tomorrow
little dreb

No comments:

Post a Comment